A Celebration of Latino Culture

On Oct. 29, the Latino Connection club organized a dance for students from surrounding high schools. The dance united students of all backgrounds in celebration of Halloween and Dia de los Muertos.

Sara Guy, Staff Writer

On Friday, Oct. 29, the Latino Connection club held a Día de Los Muertos dance for the students of Thousand Oaks High School, Newbury Park High School, and Westlake High School. They celebrated the Latino culture with Spanish music, food and decorations.

The dance gave Hispanic students the opportunity to celebrate their culture with other Latino students while providing a learning experience to non-Latino students. 

“We really wanted to emphasize together

ness, which is really important for Día de Los Muertos,” Latino Connection club president senior Frida Moreno said. 

The Latino Connection club celebrates those of Hispanic background and strives to support students through college preparedness.

“One of our goals is to promote Latino culture, [but also] to have a safe space for students, to educate them about college preparation and to promote a scholarship to do well,” said Latino Connection club advisor Mrs. Martinez. 

Members organize college visits and have guest speakers in order to ensure students are properly prepared for college. The funds from Latino Connection club will go towards scholarships for the students. Club members have learned to explore deeper into their culture and think towards the future together.

“I had a really good experience at the dance, my friends and I danced all night. We would really recommend it,” club member senior Joselyn Aguero said. 

Latino Connection club is open to students of every background, and they meet every Wednesday in the SOLE at lunch.