The Lancer

The Lancer

The Lancer

New MegaMind TV and Movie Sequel Release
Joseph Goodnight, Opinion Editor • February 20, 2024

In March of this year, Dreamworks is set to release a Peacock exclusive TV show and movie sequel to the beloved 2010 MegaMind movie. The trailer...

In Fastbreak Fashion
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • February 14, 2024

Lancers lead the way in the second half. The Great Oak Wolfpack came into Thousand Oaks Tuesday night for the CIF quarterfinals and with them...

Perserving in Penalty’s

The Lady Lancers traveled to a neutral site in Anaheim to take on the Katella Knights in the second round of the CIF-SS girls soccer playoffs....

Kanye - He's Back at it...or Maybe Not?
Elijah Brown, The Lancer Staff • February 14, 2024

Kanye West's new album “Vultures 1”, many nationwide were skeptical at first about Kanye's new album considering the controversies he has...

It’s Valentine’s, Baby
It’s Valentine’s, Baby
Momo Sonoda, Editor-In-Chief • February 14, 2024

St. Valentine’s Day commemorates the death of St. Valentine, but for others, the holiday marks a day of birth. Junior Chokee Weezer was born...

Health Science Majors Program hosts their senior showcase
Momo Sonoda, Editor-In-Chief • February 12, 2024

Last week, the seniors in Health Science Majors hosted a showcase, featuring various professions that they hope to pursue in the future. At the...

Advancing Again
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • February 12, 2024

The Lancers left campus during lunch to travel to Temecula for their round two playoff game, and the ride wasn’t enough to stop the Lancers....

Double-Double Galore

The Lancers once again came out of a playoff game as a victor, behind a powerful Trent Maclean performance nonetheless. Maclean powered his way...

Avid Attack
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • February 9, 2024

A massive performance from standout freshman led the way for the Lancers at Ventura College, freshman Maddie Linville started the game off strong...

Advancing at last!
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • February 8, 2024

Fast start, with no slowing down, your Lancers took down the Chaffey Tigers 3-1. A very early goal from junior attacker Gabriel Torreblanca gave...

Elias Chin ready to take a shot
Onto the Next

Advancing at last!  Despite a close score after each of the first two quarters, stars Elias Chin and Trent Maclean were able to help the Lancers...

Valentines Day grams for your special someone -- or not
Valentine's Day grams for your special someone -- or not
Gabriella Muller, The Lancer Staff • February 8, 2024

With Valentine's day approaching quickly, the student store is crowded with students buying Valentine's Grams for people they know -- and those...

Sephora Takeover
Sephora Takeover

With the rise of popular skincare brands coming from Tiktok, Sephora is seeing a rise in sales but a massive drop in age. “10-13 year old kids...

Point Counterpoint: The Super Debate
Point Counterpoint: The Super Debate
Kevin Starr and Christian-Isaiah Aguilar February 8, 2024

Two The Lancer columnists -- Kevin Starr and Christian-Isaiah Aguilar -- have strong opinions about the upcoming Super Bowl. Here, they square...

on the bottom is real animal based leather, while on the top is “vegan” leather, or “pleather”
Vegan Leather is Worse for the Environment than Real Leather
Joseph Goodnight, Opinion Editor • February 8, 2024

Throughout the the past 20 years the interest in sustainability and ethicality has risen immensely, especially in regards to fashion, as the...

TO Takes on the Concern

TO’s Project Concern steps up to the task of making sure every family in need enjoys the holiday season

For many, the holiday season is stressful and demanding. Fortunately in TO, families in need of help can turn to Project Concern for needed support. In Nov. 2023, Project Concern didn’t fail to provide a heartwarming display of unity and generosity. Helping families in need, Project Concern gives a sense of safety and comfort to families that are struggling. Not only supplying them with food, the organization also distributes gift cards to families so they can pick gifts for their kids during the holidays.
Project Concern, a club on campus run by Ms. Elieen Moore for years, focuses on collecting materials and raising awareness for less fortunate Lancers. Joined together by this project, classrooms across campus join hands in collecting cans of food and other essential materials. Their initiative aimed to support students in need of school supplies by gathering pencils, pens, paper and notebooks, establishing a sense of community and shared responsibility among students and faculty.
“We recognized a need on the Thousand Oaks High School campus,” Moore said.
Starting in the fall, for Thanksgiving, Project Concern collects donated school supplies from second-period classes, distributing them throughout the year to students with less access to materials. With the same process as the school supply drive, the Thanksgiving food drive collects donations. Having had a successful amount in 2022, Project Concern was able to gather almost the same amount this year, gathering 400 food supplies and $50 in cash, which was used for gift cards given out to families.
This year, with help from ASB, Project Concern can help with the food drive by collecting, counting and distributing all of the materials gathered. With competition between all the second-period classes, the winner from 2022-2023’s school year, Moore’s class, was rewarded with a pizza party for collecting the most materials.
“It felt nice giving back to the community,” sophomore Niki Krupnick said.
As a member of ASB, Krupnick has been helping with Project Concern since her freshman year. Whether it was collecting bags from classrooms or sorting through donations, Krupnick was glad to help the community. Collecting materials to give to families puts smiles on ASB’s faces, knowing that their efforts are making a difference. The donated items ranged from canned goods to boxes of stuffing, reflecting the thoughtful consideration of every participant throughout each collection.
However, it couldn’t have been possible without the help from other associations. On behalf of Adelante Comunidad Latina, an organization providing support to the Latina community, TO collects names of students whose families need help with putting Thanksgiving dinner on the table. In return, those families receive invitations to an Adelante Thanksgiving food drive held at a neighborhood school. Adelante joined TO, and families attending the free marketplace the Saturday before Thanksgiving were allowed to select from TO’s contributions as well as items obtained through grants and donations to Adelante. This allowed them a greater variety of foods as well as access to perishables such as milk, eggs, cheese and meat.
Those same families receive entrance tickets to a church toy fair with the Adelante Gift Bazaar for Christmas. Their goal, similar to Project Concern, is to help the members of the community in need of support and educate students about the importance of acts of kindness and generosity. This past Thanksgiving emphasized each classroom’s efforts in making a difference, collecting at least two bags of canned goods from each class, and emphasizing the power of collective action to create a positive change. Project Concern expressed gratitude for the overwhelming support and strives to continue organizing many more initiatives to support the Thousand Oaks community.