The Lancer

The Lancer

The Lancer

New MegaMind TV and Movie Sequel Release
Joseph Goodnight, Opinion Editor • February 20, 2024

In March of this year, Dreamworks is set to release a Peacock exclusive TV show and movie sequel to the beloved 2010 MegaMind movie. The trailer...

In Fastbreak Fashion
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • February 14, 2024

Lancers lead the way in the second half. The Great Oak Wolfpack came into Thousand Oaks Tuesday night for the CIF quarterfinals and with them...

Perserving in Penalty’s

The Lady Lancers traveled to a neutral site in Anaheim to take on the Katella Knights in the second round of the CIF-SS girls soccer playoffs....

Kanye - He's Back at it...or Maybe Not?
Elijah Brown, The Lancer Staff • February 14, 2024

Kanye West's new album “Vultures 1”, many nationwide were skeptical at first about Kanye's new album considering the controversies he has...

It’s Valentine’s, Baby
It’s Valentine’s, Baby
Momo Sonoda, Editor-In-Chief • February 14, 2024

St. Valentine’s Day commemorates the death of St. Valentine, but for others, the holiday marks a day of birth. Junior Chokee Weezer was born...

Health Science Majors Program hosts their senior showcase
Momo Sonoda, Editor-In-Chief • February 12, 2024

Last week, the seniors in Health Science Majors hosted a showcase, featuring various professions that they hope to pursue in the future. At the...

Advancing Again
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • February 12, 2024

The Lancers left campus during lunch to travel to Temecula for their round two playoff game, and the ride wasn’t enough to stop the Lancers....

Double-Double Galore

The Lancers once again came out of a playoff game as a victor, behind a powerful Trent Maclean performance nonetheless. Maclean powered his way...

Avid Attack
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • February 9, 2024

A massive performance from standout freshman led the way for the Lancers at Ventura College, freshman Maddie Linville started the game off strong...

Advancing at last!
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • February 8, 2024

Fast start, with no slowing down, your Lancers took down the Chaffey Tigers 3-1. A very early goal from junior attacker Gabriel Torreblanca gave...

Elias Chin ready to take a shot
Onto the Next

Advancing at last!  Despite a close score after each of the first two quarters, stars Elias Chin and Trent Maclean were able to help the Lancers...

Valentines Day grams for your special someone -- or not
Valentine's Day grams for your special someone -- or not
Gabriella Muller, The Lancer Staff • February 8, 2024

With Valentine's day approaching quickly, the student store is crowded with students buying Valentine's Grams for people they know -- and those...

Sephora Takeover
Sephora Takeover

With the rise of popular skincare brands coming from Tiktok, Sephora is seeing a rise in sales but a massive drop in age. “10-13 year old kids...

Point Counterpoint: The Super Debate
Point Counterpoint: The Super Debate
Kevin Starr and Christian-Isaiah Aguilar February 8, 2024

Two The Lancer columnists -- Kevin Starr and Christian-Isaiah Aguilar -- have strong opinions about the upcoming Super Bowl. Here, they square...

on the bottom is real animal based leather, while on the top is “vegan” leather, or “pleather”
Vegan Leather is Worse for the Environment than Real Leather
Joseph Goodnight, Opinion Editor • February 8, 2024

Throughout the the past 20 years the interest in sustainability and ethicality has risen immensely, especially in regards to fashion, as the...

All Rise. The Court of Thousand Oaks High School, Mock Trial, is now in session

Murder, money, and fraud — last Wednesday night, the Thousand Oaks High School Mock Trial team went to Newbury Park High School for an inter-high scrimmage in preparation for the annual Ventura County Mock Trial competition that was held on Feb. 3–4.
Pictured left to right, lead counsels sophomore Finneas Kerns, junior Aidan Light and junior Dominic Anderson sit at the Ventura County Courthouse defense table.

On an unassuming Wednesday night, two classrooms at Newbury Park High School are transformed into makeshift courtrooms. Desks are rearranged to form the judge’s bench, witness stand and defense and prosecution tables. The newly built courtroom is filled with the rustling of paper as students in blazers and slacks page through packets of this year’s California Mock Trial case brief, People v. Clark

In these two rooms, the Thousand Oaks High School Mock Trial team and the Newbury Park High School Mock Trial team compete to receive either a guilty or not guilty verdict from the presiding judge.

For Thousand Oaks High, it is their first scrimmage with another school. In fact, the Thousand Oaks High School team, under new leadership with junior Aidan Light taking the helm as president, is experiencing many firsts this year. 

“Since last year, we changed how our meeting structure worked. When you come to a meeting, you have an active role. You’re not learning about the trial, you’re not figuring out what role you wanna fill, you’re actively participating and getting the practice in,” Light said.

With many first-time participants joining the team this year, it is imperative to experience a full-length trial prior to the official competition. This is especially true for freshman Blake Cook who recently transferred to Thousand Oaks High School. With only a few weeks to practice, Cook described her thoughts on the scrimmage with one word.

“My thoughts? Terrified.”

However, soon after the Newbury Park High School scrimmage, the team stepped onto a bigger stage: last weekend, the Thousand Oaks High School Mock Trial team competed in the first round of the 2024 Ventura County Mock Trial competition at the Ventura County Courthouse.

“It was a great learning year, so I hope everyone just enjoy[ed] their experience, that they learned a lot, that they had fun and that they get to come back,” Light said.

The next round of the competition will be held at the Ventura County Courthouse on Feb. 24–25.