The Lancer

The Lancer

The Lancer

Parting Words
Jake Bradley, Becca Glaubke, Aandrea Pineda-Dominguez, and Julia Pineda-DominguezJune 6, 2024

Lancer Mascot
Lancer Mascot
Cole Howard and Cory McEnroeJune 6, 2024

From the Philly Phanatic to Benny the Bull, mascots have played an energizing role in bringing an exciting atmosphere to any game they rally...

INTRAMUR-ALL-STARS
INTRAMUR-ALL-STARS
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor ♦ June 6, 2024

It was April 23, and Gabriel Torreblanca hit the shot of his life. It was not CIF-sanctioned and did not count for any competitive league, but...

SWIM WINS FIRST C.I.F. TITLE
SWIM WINS FIRST C.I.F. TITLE

The TO swim team was down six points with one event left in the CIF championships, and the pressure was on. With one relay race to go, the goal...

Two-sport star Ivy Williams leads the way
Kailah Spencer, The Lancer Staff ♦ June 6, 2024

With an incredible 2023-2024 season, senior Ivy Williams made an impact at TO that will last a lifetime. Serving as captain of the girl’s...

Kajita goes the distance for Lancers
Kajita goes the distance for Lancers
Gemma Spraggins, Assistant News Editor ♦ June 6, 2024

After a terrific senior season and a thrilling career, Cassidy Kajita is off to compete for UC Davis next season. Before she leaves, she caught...

Papavasiliou sets record pace

With one lap to go in the most important mile race of his career, Liam Papavasilou wasn’t sure if fate was in the cards. “We came through...

Chin bids goodbye with trifecta of records

Elias Chin will be honored for years to come for his Lancer school records in points, rebounds and assists. But what about for speaking Greek? “He’s...

Controversy Brews Over Barred Owl Removal to Save Spotted Owl
Kimberly Jerez, The Lancer Staff ♦ May 2, 2024

Wildlife officials are in a bitter dispute over the removal of the invasive Barred Owl from forests along the West Coast to save the Northern...

TOHS Springs to Europe over the Break
TOHS Springs to Europe over the Break
Alyssa Kiszczak, Managing Editor ♦ April 22, 2024

The scary sight of the most monstrous cheese you can imagine was sitting in the display case, calling their names. The stench was wretched, like...

Morge returns to mound after road trip of a lifetime
Lilah Swaving, The Lancer Staff ♦ April 16, 2024

It finally became unbearable for Daniel Morge when the Thousand Oaks High baseball team went to go sing the national anthem, and he couldn’t...

Kirby pulls off rare double play for TO
Kirby pulls off rare double play for TO
Riley Brown, The Lancer Staff ♦ April 16, 2024

Junior Claire Kirby leads the TO softball team as not only an elite pitcher but also as an elite hitter. But she plays a third role that is...

The Great Outdoors
The Great Outdoors
Alan Ko, Guest Writer ♦ April 16, 2024

Outdoor school counseling might not sound like the best thing to do with a packed schedule but it is arguably one of the best experiences that...

Off-Campus Pass
Momo Sonoda, Editor-In-Chief ♦ April 16, 2024

Celebrities catastrophic effect on the environment
Joseph Goodnight, Opinion Editor ♦ March 27, 2024

With our current understanding of the climate crisis, it’s safe to say that everyone is trying to be more sustainable for the sake of the environment,...

Lakers Preview: Title No. 18?

With LeBron James and Anthony Davis leading the way, the Lakers enter the 2023-24 season trying to win title No. 5 for James and title No. 18 in franchise history

With LeBron James entering his 21st season in the NBA, he only has his eyes on winning his fifth championship and, for the Lakers, their 18th title.
The Lakers brought in some additional firepower over the offseason to give James and star big man Anthony Davis the supporting cast they need for their first championship since 2020. Offseason signings of veteran forwards Taurean Prince, Christian Wood and guard Gabe Vincent should only make the team stronger, especially as the Lakers were also able to re-sign two of their top performers from last season, guards Austin Reaves and D’Angelo Russell. The Lakers fended off several suitors for Reaves’ services, after the 2nd-year guard averaged 13 points per game.
Now that James has been given all the tools he could ask for, now it is up to him and his team with what they will produce.
“This is the first time since the 2020 run that we’re returning the team,” James told reporters in October. “Besides that run, we’ve all been dealing with a lot of turnover. I’m excited about us returning our core and then bringing in a lot of very, very, very good players that can help us continue to do what we’re able to do.”
The team is going to be relying on James and Davis to stay healthy, as the 2022-23 season was Davis’ first season with 50-plus games played since his first season with the Lakers in 2019-20.
If the league’s top dynamic duo can stay intact, there is not much that can stop the improved Lakers, as they have upgraded at every position since the start of last season. This past post-season, Davis performed like the Defensive Player of the Year, which once again proved how elite he can be if he can stay healthy. As for James, age appears to be getting to him as he missed part of his 20th season with a foot injury.
However, James had a critical offseason that let the NBA know he is ready to go and ready to beat any team that stops by Los Angeles.
“Now that we have, top to bottom, what we feel like is a highly balanced, skilled, younger team of guys who’ve logged a ton of NBA minutes, we can surround both James and AD with players that are eager to contribute and impact winning,” Lakers coach Darvin Ham told reporters.
Here’s a look back on the Lakers’ 2022-23 season and how they stack up for 2023-24…

2022-23 Rewind

The Lakers finished the 2022-23 regular season 43-39 and earned a trip to the play-in tournament, where they were able to turn that invite into a trip to the Western Conference Finals.
After beating the Minnesota Timberwolves in the play-in game, then disposing of the 2nd-seeded Memphis Grizzlies in six games, the Lakers defeated the reigning champion Golden State Warriors in six games before being swept by the eventual champion Denver Nuggets in the WCF.

Top Players

Forward LeBron James
2022-23 Stats: 28.9 points per game, 6.8 assists per game, 8.3 rebounds per game
One Big Number: James has averaged more than 25 points per game for 19 consecutive seasons.

Center Anthony Davis
2022-23 Stats: 25.9 points per game, 12.5 rebounds per game, 2.0 blocks per game
One Big Number: Davis averaged 3.1 blocks per game in the 2023 playoffs.

Guard D’Angelo Russell
2022-23 Stats: 17.4 points per game, 6.1 assists per game
One Big Number: Russell has averaged at least 17 points per game in five straight years.

Guard Austin Reaves
2022-23 Stats: 13.0 points per game, 3.4 assists per game
One Big Number: Reaves started all 16 playoff games this past season, while averaging 17 points per game.

Forward Jarred Vanderbilt
2022-23 Stats: 7.9 points per game, 7.5 rebounds per game
One Big Number: Vanderbilt started 13 of the 15 playoff games he played in last season.

Forward Rui Hachimura
2022-23 Stats: 11.3 points per game, 4.3 rebounds per game
One Big Number: Hachimura averaged 12.2 points per game in the playoffs while only starting one of the 16 games.