The Lancer

The Lancer

The Lancer

Parting Words
Jake Bradley, Becca Glaubke, Aandrea Pineda-Dominguez, and Julia Pineda-DominguezJune 6, 2024

Lancer Mascot
Lancer Mascot
Cole Howard and Cory McEnroeJune 6, 2024

From the Philly Phanatic to Benny the Bull, mascots have played an energizing role in bringing an exciting atmosphere to any game they rally...

INTRAMUR-ALL-STARS
INTRAMUR-ALL-STARS
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor ♦ June 6, 2024

It was April 23, and Gabriel Torreblanca hit the shot of his life. It was not CIF-sanctioned and did not count for any competitive league, but...

SWIM WINS FIRST C.I.F. TITLE
SWIM WINS FIRST C.I.F. TITLE

The TO swim team was down six points with one event left in the CIF championships, and the pressure was on. With one relay race to go, the goal...

Two-sport star Ivy Williams leads the way
Kailah Spencer, The Lancer Staff ♦ June 6, 2024

With an incredible 2023-2024 season, senior Ivy Williams made an impact at TO that will last a lifetime. Serving as captain of the girl’s...

Kajita goes the distance for Lancers
Kajita goes the distance for Lancers
Gemma Spraggins, Assistant News Editor ♦ June 6, 2024

After a terrific senior season and a thrilling career, Cassidy Kajita is off to compete for UC Davis next season. Before she leaves, she caught...

Papavasiliou sets record pace

With one lap to go in the most important mile race of his career, Liam Papavasilou wasn’t sure if fate was in the cards. “We came through...

Chin bids goodbye with trifecta of records

Elias Chin will be honored for years to come for his Lancer school records in points, rebounds and assists. But what about for speaking Greek? “He’s...

Controversy Brews Over Barred Owl Removal to Save Spotted Owl
Kimberly Jerez, The Lancer Staff ♦ May 2, 2024

Wildlife officials are in a bitter dispute over the removal of the invasive Barred Owl from forests along the West Coast to save the Northern...

TOHS Springs to Europe over the Break
TOHS Springs to Europe over the Break
Alyssa Kiszczak, Managing Editor ♦ April 22, 2024

The scary sight of the most monstrous cheese you can imagine was sitting in the display case, calling their names. The stench was wretched, like...

Morge returns to mound after road trip of a lifetime
Lilah Swaving, The Lancer Staff ♦ April 16, 2024

It finally became unbearable for Daniel Morge when the Thousand Oaks High baseball team went to go sing the national anthem, and he couldn’t...

Kirby pulls off rare double play for TO
Kirby pulls off rare double play for TO
Riley Brown, The Lancer Staff ♦ April 16, 2024

Junior Claire Kirby leads the TO softball team as not only an elite pitcher but also as an elite hitter. But she plays a third role that is...

The Great Outdoors
The Great Outdoors
Alan Ko, Guest Writer ♦ April 16, 2024

Outdoor school counseling might not sound like the best thing to do with a packed schedule but it is arguably one of the best experiences that...

Off-Campus Pass
Momo Sonoda, Editor-In-Chief ♦ April 16, 2024

Celebrities catastrophic effect on the environment
Joseph Goodnight, Opinion Editor ♦ March 27, 2024

With our current understanding of the climate crisis, it’s safe to say that everyone is trying to be more sustainable for the sake of the environment,...

SWIM WINS FIRST C.I.F. TITLE

A late surge in relays helps propel the Lancers to championship
SWIM WINS FIRST C.I.F. TITLE

The TO swim team was down six points with one event left in the CIF championships, and the pressure was on.
With one relay race to go, the goal was simple: All they had to do was not get disqualified.
“If we got ninth place in the championship final we still would’ve beaten them, but our kids did not care and swam their best race of the season,” assistant coach Austin Gregory told the Lancer. “They got first place by 10 seconds in that final event.”
This push in the final race of the season propelled the Lancers all the way from the six-point deficit into a 38-point lead, clinching TO’s first CIF section championship.
While Gregory and head coach Craig Rond were on the edges of their seats, the boys swim program, composed primarily of water polo players, was able to make school history.
“That’s just the new culture in aquatics for us,” Gregory said of embracing multi-sport athletes. “Last year, there were about four or five water polo players on the boys side that did swim team as well, whereas this year, every single water polo player for the boys side, except two, did swim team.”
The team atmosphere not only carried the program to the CIF Finals, but to the championship itself.
”It was really satisfying,” said Keith Warner, who also serves as a water polo team captain. “I was in two different relays, and they are the biggest point scorers — for the relay, you get double points — so I was really happy to be a part of the 200 medley and contribute. But it really adds to a team (when) everyone swims harder when they are individual events because everyone is relying on you.”
The buy-in towards the aquatics program has this year’s CIF title looking as just the start.
“Coach Rond’s message this year is that you can do hard things, and (we) showed the kids that it’s possible to do club water polo and swim all in one day and still do homework at the end,” Gregory said.
For the TO coaches, watching the Lancers celebrate was a reward in itself.
“The way the pool was set up, the athletes were below coach and I, and we were on top and just everybody celebrating,” Gregory said. “I wish you could see that moment that en-captures just how excited we were that we had won.”
And for the Lancer swimmers themselves, it is a memory they’ll never forget.
“(It was) pretty sick honestly, just hearing that TO won on the loudspeakers and getting our place and all it’s pretty unreal, honestly,” senior Thomas McDonough said. “But (we were) blessed to be able to experience it.”