The Lancer

The Lancer

The Lancer

Controversy Brews Over Barred Owl Removal to Save Spotted Owl
Kimberly Jerez, The Lancer Staff ♦ May 2, 2024

Wildlife officials are in a bitter dispute over the removal of the invasive Barred Owl from forests along the West Coast to save the Northern...

TOHS Springs to Europe over the Break
TOHS Springs to Europe over the Break
Alyssa Kiszczak, Managing Editor ♦ April 22, 2024

The scary sight of the most monstrous cheese you can imagine was sitting in the display case, calling their names. The stench was wretched, like...

Morge returns to mound after road trip of a lifetime
Lilah Swaving, The Lancer Staff ♦ April 16, 2024

It finally became unbearable for Daniel Morge when the Thousand Oaks High baseball team went to go sing the national anthem, and he couldn’t...

Kirby pulls off rare double play for TO
Kirby pulls off rare double play for TO
Riley Brown, The Lancer Staff ♦ April 16, 2024

Junior Claire Kirby leads the TO softball team as not only an elite pitcher but also as an elite hitter. But she plays a third role that is...

The Great Outdoors
The Great Outdoors
Alan Ko, Guest Writer ♦ April 16, 2024

Outdoor school counseling might not sound like the best thing to do with a packed schedule but it is arguably one of the best experiences that...

Off-Campus Pass
Momo Sonoda, Editor-In-Chief ♦ April 16, 2024

Celebrities catastrophic effect on the environment
Joseph Goodnight, Opinion Editor ♦ March 27, 2024

With our current understanding of the climate crisis, it’s safe to say that everyone is trying to be more sustainable for the sake of the environment,...

Lancer-to-Los Robles volunteer system stays strong
Kimberly Jerez, The Lancer Staff ♦ March 27, 2024

Los Robles Regional Medical Center benefits from the varied talents and experiences that volunteers offer, ranging from high school students...

Time T.O. Vote
Time T.O. Vote
Kailah Spencer, The Lancer Staff ♦ March 27, 2024

Senior Maya Campo turns 18 in April, and she is ready to make her voice heard this November. As the presidential primary election nears, seniors...

Going Digital: The SAT’s New Normal
Going Digital: The SAT’s New Normal

Many Lancers students are familiar with the SAT; a paper test with over a hundred questions of varying difficulty. Now, CVUSD is introducing...

Around the Business Table
Around the Business Table
Julia Pineda-Dominguez, The Lancer Staff ♦ March 27, 2024

The Majors program provides students with the opportunity to speak with mentors in many different careers. The program consists of monthly meetings...

Moreno heads to Washington
Moreno heads to Washington
Aandrea Pineda-Dominguez, News Editor ♦ March 27, 2024

It was finally over. The bell gave its shrieking cry and off went hundreds of students to enjoy their freedom, at least for a moment. For...

TO Acorn With Permission
Lancers lose a forever friend
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor ♦ March 27, 2024

Bill Gemberling has worn many hats at Thousand Oaks High: student, teacher, coach, sports announcer. But taxi driver? “I was one of (Brett...

Unexpected La Reina closure leads to transfers
Abigail Kerns, Assistant News Editor ♦ March 27, 2024

escribing how La Reina families felt upon receiving the news that their school, which opened its doors in 1964, will be closing at the end of...

New MegaMind TV and Movie Sequel Release
Joseph Goodnight, Opinion Editor ♦ February 20, 2024

In March of this year, Dreamworks is set to release a Peacock exclusive TV show and movie sequel to the beloved 2010 MegaMind movie. The trailer...

TOHS Springs to Europe over the Break

Maddy Geisler

The scary sight of the most monstrous cheese you can imagine was sitting in the display case, calling their names. The stench was wretched, like the whiff of dirty feet and locker room armpits after a long day of football practice. Some were intimidated by the smell and would probably throw up if they had a bite, but the long hairy texture was the worst part. They say that there is nothing more memorable than a smell, but this group of Lancer students were scurrying to get the strong scent out of their noses. 

History teacher Ryan Geisler’s trip to Europe will create many memories like these that they will never forget. 

Every year, TO offers an international trip during spring break, allowing students to learn about some of the most historical landmarks within the area. This year, Geisler’s group of students embarked on a 10-day European trip to Paris and Normandy, France, as well as London, England. Although three of the days were technically travel days, they still had plenty of time to see what these countries have to offer.

“Paris and London are awesome because of the various histories that you can see through the ages,” Geisler said. “But I liked the Normandy region just because I am very interested in World War II history. Getting to go to Pointe du Hoc and stand at the top of the cliffs that the army rangers tried to take. Being able to see Omaha beach, the German guns, and all the dugouts, and just being able to walk where history happened, is pretty amazing.”

Through this trip, students were exposed to many different situations that could be a good learning opportunity and something they will take with them for the rest of their lives. It gave them the chance to be independent and make their own decisions without parental involvement. These can include going through customs, having to show – and not lose – their passports, ordering food when there is a language barrier, deciding what they want to do in their free time, and using public transportation. 

Another benefit to this trip is the social aspect. Spending 24 hours a day for a whole week with people they may not know all too well means, by the end of the trip, new friendships are sure to be made.
“I only knew two people going forward and by the end of the trip, we were kind of like a little family which was really fun,” said junior Maddy Geisler, who is also Mr. Geisler’s daughter. “We also became good friends with a group of kids from Tennessee and now we all stay in touch. A lot of new friendships and memories have been formed because of this opportunity we had.”

From trying stinky cheese and late-night Uno games to recreating iconic movie star poses in front of historical monuments, they will always remember these events as part of their spring break Europe trip. 

”I would tell someone debating on going on a trip like this to totally do it,” junior Aubrey Narajuo. “It is such a great opportunity, and we get to do so much each day. We all learned so much and got to hang out with people we didn’t even know and it’s just a great experience overall.”

For Mr. Geisler the chance to bring his teachings to life made for an unforgettable experience.
“The students were able to see a lot of what we talk about in class, either in World History or US history,” he said. “We got to see the Normandy and D-Day experience but we also got to see a lot of French Revolution history and post-French Revolution with Napoleon. Being able to see those things and experience them firsthand is far greater than anything a teacher can give in a classroom.”