Black History Month 2024

Black History Month 2024

From Feb. 1-29 this year, Black History Month will be celebrated across the country
History

February 1st marks the beginning of Black History Month, a national month dedicated to celebrating the history, culture, and contributions of Black Americans. Established by former president Gerald Ford in 1976, Black History Month was pushed for years before to became an official national observance by educators and students at Kent State University. This month was officiated with celebration, awareness, and remembrance in mind; the history of Black Americans is extensive and ever-continuous. While there has been struggle, there has also been great achievement in every field there is: liberal arts, music, STEM, politics, etc. 2024 will be America’s official 48th year of awareness.  

TOHS Black Student Union

TOHS BSU MEETING

2/6 @lunch in D5

25th ANNUAL LOST ANGELES BLACK COLLEGE EXPO

2/10 @10am-5pm 

Los Angeles Convention Center

CVUSD CELEBRATION: FREE MUSIC & DANCE PERFORMANCE

2/23 @4pm 

Newbury Park High School PAC

RSVP via CVUSD website

TOHS POTLUCK

2/29 

Location TBD

What this Month Means to TOHS Students

“For me, Black History Month is a time to not only remember the suffering and hardships that Black people have gone through forever, but also the impact and successes that Black people have had in society. So many inventions that are essential to our everyday life, so many scientific discoveries that keep up healthy, and so many popular shows/ songs/ books/ etc. come from Black people. Society is advanced as it is because of the efforts of black people and I think black history month is a perfect time to honor and respect Black success, culture, struggle, and growth.”

– Leila, Senior

“Black history month means to me: a month to celebrate and honor black history and black historians and is a way to recognize what African Americans have been through in the past and still present day. ”

– Rochelle, Junior

“Black history month to me means that it’s empowering black heritage and making African Americans feel special and important cause for centuries we didn’t And it’s almost like a recognization that African Americans are powerful humans and have been through a lot and deserve some grace and love and comfort.”

– Waylan, Senior

Learn More and Support

Center for Racial Justice in Education

• “…Train and empower educators to dismantle patterns of racism and injustice in our schools and communities…”
    • From website

Learning for Justice

• “…Uphold the mission of the Southern Poverty Law Center: to be a catalyst for racial justice in the South and beyond, working in partnership with communities to dismantle white supremacy, strengthen intersectional movements and advance the human rights of all people…”
    • From website

A list of MANY more sources to help educate and learn about this month:

https://centerracialjustice.org/resources/black-history-month-resource-guide-for-educators-and-families/#:~:text=Black%20History%20Month%20%E2%80%93%20Library%20of,and%20culture%20into%20your%20classroom.