The Lancer

The Lancer

The Lancer

New MegaMind TV and Movie Sequel Release
Joseph Goodnight, Opinion Editor • February 20, 2024

In March of this year, Dreamworks is set to release a Peacock exclusive TV show and movie sequel to the beloved 2010 MegaMind movie. The trailer...

In Fastbreak Fashion
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • February 14, 2024

Lancers lead the way in the second half. The Great Oak Wolfpack came into Thousand Oaks Tuesday night for the CIF quarterfinals and with them...

Perserving in Penalty’s

The Lady Lancers traveled to a neutral site in Anaheim to take on the Katella Knights in the second round of the CIF-SS girls soccer playoffs....

Kanye - He's Back at it...or Maybe Not?
Elijah Brown, The Lancer Staff • February 14, 2024

Kanye West's new album “Vultures 1”, many nationwide were skeptical at first about Kanye's new album considering the controversies he has...

It’s Valentine’s, Baby
It’s Valentine’s, Baby
Momo Sonoda, Editor-In-Chief • February 14, 2024

St. Valentine’s Day commemorates the death of St. Valentine, but for others, the holiday marks a day of birth. Junior Chokee Weezer was born...

Health Science Majors Program hosts their senior showcase
Momo Sonoda, Editor-In-Chief • February 12, 2024

Last week, the seniors in Health Science Majors hosted a showcase, featuring various professions that they hope to pursue in the future. At the...

Advancing Again
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • February 12, 2024

The Lancers left campus during lunch to travel to Temecula for their round two playoff game, and the ride wasn’t enough to stop the Lancers....

Double-Double Galore

The Lancers once again came out of a playoff game as a victor, behind a powerful Trent Maclean performance nonetheless. Maclean powered his way...

Avid Attack
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • February 9, 2024

A massive performance from standout freshman led the way for the Lancers at Ventura College, freshman Maddie Linville started the game off strong...

Advancing at last!
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • February 8, 2024

Fast start, with no slowing down, your Lancers took down the Chaffey Tigers 3-1. A very early goal from junior attacker Gabriel Torreblanca gave...

Elias Chin ready to take a shot
Onto the Next

Advancing at last!  Despite a close score after each of the first two quarters, stars Elias Chin and Trent Maclean were able to help the Lancers...

Valentines Day grams for your special someone -- or not
Valentine's Day grams for your special someone -- or not
Gabriella Muller, The Lancer Staff • February 8, 2024

With Valentine's day approaching quickly, the student store is crowded with students buying Valentine's Grams for people they know -- and those...

Sephora Takeover
Sephora Takeover

With the rise of popular skincare brands coming from Tiktok, Sephora is seeing a rise in sales but a massive drop in age. “10-13 year old kids...

Point Counterpoint: The Super Debate
Point Counterpoint: The Super Debate
Kevin Starr and Christian-Isaiah Aguilar February 8, 2024

Two The Lancer columnists -- Kevin Starr and Christian-Isaiah Aguilar -- have strong opinions about the upcoming Super Bowl. Here, they square...

on the bottom is real animal based leather, while on the top is “vegan” leather, or “pleather”
Vegan Leather is Worse for the Environment than Real Leather
Joseph Goodnight, Opinion Editor • February 8, 2024

Throughout the the past 20 years the interest in sustainability and ethicality has risen immensely, especially in regards to fashion, as the...

As sustainability becomes a poignant topic during the climate crisis, we need to reassess our preconceived ideas about “vegan” leather and its impact on the environment over real leather products
Creative Commons

Throughout the the past 20 years the interest in sustainability and ethicality has risen immensely, especially in regards to fashion, as the reality of the climate crisis and human impact begins to way more and more heavily on everyone’s minds we are forced every day to make choices about how we respect our environment, animals, and the world through our purchases. 

One of the many ways that people often choose to make a “sustainable” choice is to substitute genuine leather for “vegan leather”, but is the vegan alternative really better for the environment? Absolutely not. 

Vegan leather, often called “pleather” or plastic leather is just that, plastic. More specifically “vegan leather is… made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or polyurethane. Both of these materials are made from fossil fuels” Jasmine Mayhead with Ethical Made Easy said. Fossil fuel based plastics like PVC can take hundreds and thousands of years to fully break down once they have been discarded, unlike real leather which only takes approximately fifty years to break down as it is a natural material.

It’s also important to note that those who make the choice to use vegan leather will be forced to discard it much more often then they would genuine leather.

“Vegan leather is often a lot thinner than real leather and much lighter weight which… makes it less durable than real leather. A real, good quality leather can last decades when cared for, whereas you might only get a year or so out of a pair of shoes made from good quality [vegan] leather” Camilla Shep with Mahi Leather said. Meaning that even if you’re able to commit to getting every bit of use out of your vegan leather items before discarding them, it’s more than likely you’ll be forced to replace them many times throughout your life. 

Many argue that the reason to avoid real leather is to protect the cows that the leather is harvested from, but in reality harvesting leather is much more sustainable than may initially be apparent, especially if you consume beef products, as “leather is usually a co-product of the meat industry. This means animals are not [killed] solely for their hide, but the hide is a bi-product” Mayhead said. So unless you have a moral opposition to the consumption of beef, the usage of leather is actually making more use of the animal, and avoiding unnecessary waste from the production of beef. 

While leather is a bi-product, making use of the leftovers from the harvesting of beef, vegan leather is not a bi-product, and its production is often harmful to the environment. “The process of producing [vegan] leather often involves the use of solvents and other chemicals…These chemicals can be released into the air and water, contributing to air pollution and water contamination” Manuel Dreesmann said. 

Throughout every step of production and ownership vegan leather is less sustainable for the environment than genuine leather, not only will it require dangerous chemicals to be produced that could possibly find their way into the air and water, but it requires that you buy it more often due to its lack of durability, and when these fossil fuel plastics end up breaking they will sit in landfills for hundreds of years, where as real leather comes as a byproduct of the beef industry, one of the largest industries in the US, and will last a lifetime, and take only around 50 years to decompose. Without a doubt genuine leather is more sustainable for our environment then it’s synthetic alternatives.