The Lancer

The Lancer

The Lancer

TOHS Theatre Flies Among the Stars
TOHS Theatre Flies Among the Stars
Gemma Spraggins, Assistant News Editor • November 21, 2023

With opening night of “Peter and the Starcatcher” on Thursday, November 16th, and closing night on Saturday, November 18th, the cast has...

Boston Journalism Convention goes in all the ‘write’ ways
Aandrea Pineda-Dominguez, News Editor • November 6, 2023

With a stinging chill in the air, professional writers and aspiring journalists gathered in Boston, MA for the annual JEA/NSPA Fall National...

Should schools have a block schedule?
Maximus Cover and Christian-Isaiah Aguilar November 3, 2023

Fall Sports Round-Up
November 3, 2023

No red flags for Girls Flag Football
No red flags for Girls Flag Football
Lilah Swaving and Riley Brown October 28, 2023

Former Thousand Oaks High School varsity head football coach Mike Leibin took on a new yet somewhat familiar challenge: TO girls flag football...

Lancers tie for Canyon League title
Lancers tie for Canyon League title
Jackson Kurtz, The Lancer Staff • October 28, 2023

Q&A THE LANCER: What challenges did you have to overcome in your first season?” MCENROE: “Every job is unique and there’s no such...

Lakers Preview: Title No. 18?
Lakers Preview: Title No. 18?
Jake Bradley, Sports Editor • October 28, 2023

With LeBron James entering his 21st season in the NBA, he only has his eyes on winning his fifth championship and, for the Lakers, their...

AROUND T.O.WN
Rhiannon Hendershot, The Lancer Staff • October 28, 2023

Reign of Terror 275 N Moorpark Rd East, Thousand Oaks, Sept. 29-Nov. 4, 7 p.m.-11 p.m. Walk through various bone-chilling rooms and exhibits...

Preserving the human aspect in the age of AI
Joseph Goodnight, Opinion Editor • October 28, 2023

With the ever-changing scope of technology, we as a generation constantly have to accept new ways in which artificial intelligence is integrating...

Día de los Muertos Dance strives for increased inclusivity
Kimberly Jerez, The Lancer Staff • October 28, 2023

The Latino Connection Club at Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park and Westlake High have come together to host their annual Día de los Muertos dance,...

OFF-CAMPUS PASS
Momo Sonoda, Editor-In-Chief • October 28, 2023

Unanimous GOP vote elects Rep. Mike Johnson for House Speaker More than three weeks after the historical outsting of the Speaker of the House,...

Cheers, Starbucks: a new staple in TO
Cheers, Starbucks: a new staple in TO
Kailah Spencer, The Lancer Staff • October 28, 2023

“Can I get a Lancer Frappuccino?” was something Starbucks manager Miguel Medina heard a lot of following the opening of the new store...

TO welcomes college visitors
Alyssa Kiszczak, Managing Editor • October 28, 2023

Throughout the year, TO provides students with college visits from many schools across the nation. They usually consist of an informational briefing...

Orchestra starting the year off on a good note
Aandrea Pineda-Dominguez, News Editor • October 28, 2023

The instruments are finely tuning, patience is running out, and the maestro is preparing to orchestrate another musical masterpiece. Thousand...

Science Rooms gets a Facelift
Gemma Spraggins, Assistant News Editor • October 28, 2023

On the first day of the school year, TO forensics teacher Michael Flores watched his class experience science in a whole new way. As...

No red flags for Girls Flag Football

TO’s newest fall sport drew interest from throughout the school

Former Thousand Oaks High School varsity head football coach Mike Leibin took on a new yet somewhat familiar challenge: TO girls flag football head coach.
The sport debuted at the school this season after being introduced around Southern California over the last couple years.
“I thought it would be a totally new adventure coaching a bunch of athletes, especially girls who have no background with the sport,” Leibin said. “Maybe some of them have played catch with their brother in the backyard, but for the most part, [they] haven’t really played football. I looked forward to the challenge.”
Despite the girls’ inexperience, by the end of tryouts, he knew there was a good selection of girls who were strong in different categories. Leibin highlighted that the girls have improved throughout the year, and the Lancers started the season 4-7 and 3-2 in the Marmonte League.
No matter the outcome of every game, they would come together and create ways to execute their plays and make more plans to come to victory.
“The most important thing would be the progress that the girls have shown throughout the year,” Leibin said. “We get better and better on both sides of the ball and that’s been a rewarding experience.”
The players haven’t just gained strength on the field but have also forged a close bond.
“During games, we would bond together, and [after], celebrate together when we [won], and when we [lost], we would come together and have to figure out what we did wrong,” sophomore Malia Turley said.
Turley was a key player for the Lancers this year, and when she was sidelined with an injury, it had an impact on the team.
“It really hurt us when Malia Turly broke her toe,” Leibin said.
Despite this setback, the team executed a successful first year.
“Just everybody learning this new sport together and going through the experience together [was great], because we all kinda didn’t know what we were doing when we first started and now we are just having fun together,” sophomore Morgan Humphrey said.
With such a good start to the new sport at TO, fans look forward to more fruitful seasons.